Saturday, July 10, 2010

God's (feeble) revenge

Just a quick note to let you (whomever that may be) that God may have finally exacted his revenge, in a rather unimaginative and slightly annoying manner. As it is late and I am tired and without strong drink I shall include details of the last day of TAM 2010 at a later date. Suffice to say that it was every bit as enjoyable as the previous days, with the big man, Richard D, giving the closing lecture, focusing almost entirely on the improbability of God and his disregard for what Steven J. Gould referred to as non-overlapping magesteria, although he didn't use those words. Essentially, it was curious to him, as to me, how any scientist or rational thinker could at the same time hold a belief in a sky daddy. The day also included a memorable quote from Paul Provenza, a comedian and writer who said (and I paraphrase) that one is not supposed to draw the prophet mohammed because he has a cock for a nose, and not a very impressive one at that. It may sound shitty now, but in context he brought the house down. Overall, the level of atheistic sentiment rampant at the conference was very high, the majority of T-shirt slogans bearing slogans such as 'Atheism is a non-prophet organization' and 'WWJD' (what would Jesus drink?). My favorite was a drawing of Jesus playing poker, with one of the other players saying 'ante, christ'. Ho ho.

Anyway, I got to the airport drunk, but on time. As I waited in the line of now-broke gamblers and moms with squalling brats, I found out that my flight had been canceled. I then had to wait over an hour and a half to re-book and get put up at at a second rate hotel on the flight path to Mclaren airport. This, if anything qualifies so far, must have been the big revenge, the wrath of God who must have been on a bender last night as this really is a pretty weak and unimaginative punishment for this heathen. On the other hand, I didn't have to take the red-eye and instead get to fly during the day, after a nights sleep.

Good god, what a bunch of incoherent drivel...

No comments:

Post a Comment